Wednesday, February 29, 2012

IEP's and Other Fun Stuff!

What's up folks! We are still alive and kicking in Oklahoma! Things are going great, not a whole lot has changed.  Waiting for beautiful weather and more time outdoors and of course Benjamin's big horse show.

Began our second semester of school with lots of trouble.  It took Ben about a month to get back into the swing of things and even thing, it was tough.  IEP's (Individualized Education Program) are a b****.  lol  Pardon my asterisks! If you haven't had to help create one, be thankful! It's hard finding the proper balance for your child.  I sure don't want Ben's education handed to him on a platter, but I also don't want his school life so difficult he just gives up.  I never thought I'd have to tell a teacher that I just wanted them to focus on educating my child and let his other services work on his social skills.  While I realize it goes hand in hand, I'm afraid of his education slipping away from him and he just gets pushed forward because he is a special needs child.  At this point, he gets Occupational therapy twice a week, Speech therapy twice a week, and therapy with licensed therapists 6 times per week all in addition to his hippotherapy.  Phew.  I'm tired just thinking about it! Still sometimes I feel he's regressing and it's frustrating for both of us.

On a funner note, I went to pick him up from daycare today and  here he comes holding hands with his little friend Sophia (Sophia is an adorable little hispanic girl that Ben just loves hanging out with. He talks about her all the time at home and how sweet she is to him).  At this point even the teachers are giggling because they are just like a little teenage couple, holding hands walking around the playground.  Ben introduced me to her and we both smiled and said hi, then Ben let go of her hand and she giggled and ran off.  As we were collecting Ben's things, she came running in across the gym yelling his name.  They walked to the fountian together for a drink and she started to walk off and turned around, looked at me and said "I think he likes me", then flipped her hair and started shaking her little hiney as she walked down the hall.  Funniest thing ever.  I asked him if Sophia was his "girlfriend" and he said "HECK NO!"  lol  Kids are so funny...

1 comment:

  1. Love him! Lady-killer! He has no idea the power of his charm! ;)

    ReplyDelete